10 months ago, an earthquake rocked the new zealand city of christchurch . yet another earthquake of magnitude 5.8 quake struck 26km (15 miles) north-east of the city at a depth of 4.7km, the US Geological Survey said.
The airport has been evacuated and there are reports of liquefaction in some areas, local media said.
There were no immediate reports of casualties.
A shopping centre has also been evacuated and residents were reported to be standing outside buildings.
A total of 181 people were killed when the last earthquake struck in February.
- New earthquake rocks Christchurch (bbc.co.uk)
- New Zealand’s Christchurch suffers 5.8 quake (marketwatch.com)
- Strong earthquakes rattle NZ’s Christchurch (thenewstribune.com)
- Powerful earthquake hits New Zealand near Christchurch (telegraph.co.uk)
- Strong earthquake rattles NZ’s Christchurch (seattletimes.nwsource.com)