1. Nigerians witnessed the eclipse last ten years ago on March 29, 2006. Ten years after , they would witness another eclipse.
2. This eclipse unlike the event in 2006, which was a total eclipse, Nigerians are set to experience another spectacle,an annular eclipse .
3. On May May 20, 1947, An earlier total solar eclipse took place in Nigeria and along West African coast.
4.Do you know that people till recently see the solar eclipse as a sign of an impending apocalypse or the anger of the gods, but is believed that the real reason for the erratic occurrence of solar eclipses on Earth may finally have been solved.
5. Just to know , A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between Earth and the Sun, thereby totally or partly obscuring the image of the Sun for a viewer on Earth.
A total solar eclipse occurs when the Moon’s apparent diameter is larger than the Sun’s, blocking all direct sunlight, turning day into darkness.
6.Annular solar eclipses have a “ring of fire” and occurs when the Moon moves in front of the Sun but does not cover the Sun’s discs completely.
7.The annular solar eclipse is predicted to last just for 10 minutes. Incase you souldnt see it dont be sad . In February 2017, we anticipate another eclipse.
8. Knowing the right time to view the eclipse is also very important. Nigeria is GMT +1, viewers can start watching at 7.08 am.
9. Protect your eyes by not Staring directly at the sun as it can lead to retina burn.
The retina of an unprotected eye can burn in as little as 30 seconds and since the retina has no pain receptors, the damage will have been already done.